Dinner & People’s Choice Judges Rules & Information
Dinner consists of as many different sample chili dishes as you would like, salad, rolls & butter, desert, coffee, tea, or water. A cash bar will be open throughout offering beer, liquor, coolers, red & white wine and a variety of soda.
Dinner guests are also People’s Choice & Showmanship Judges! Please see below for your responsibilities.
Dinner Judging – 6:00 pm
- Dinner & Dance tickets are available online and at the door but seating is limited so we strongly recommend you get your tickets early! Each dinner ticket holder is also a People’s Choice Judge and as such will need to check in prior to 5:45 in order to receive your judge’s lanyard enabling you to get your chili. Arriving earlier will ensure everyone in your party will be able to be seated together.
- All people eligible to sample chili will be given a lanyard identifying their eligibility. Chili chef’s will put out samples of their chili in the containers provided to them. These containers will be marked with an identifier provided to the chefs upon registration. Garnishes & top-pings etc will be placed in separate bowls and left to the side. It will be the people’s judges choice whether or not to use them.
- People’s choice judges are not required to sample all the chilis, but rather are permitted to sample only those appealing to them. They can choose chili based on spiciness, whether or not they contain meat, appearance etc
- All chef’s will be provided a large container or box marked with the same identifier to be placed on their table anytime prior to judging, or they may choose to bring their own container matching their table decoration/theme.
- Once People’s choice judges have finished sampling all of their chosen chili, they will pick their favourite. When they have made their decision, they will place their lanyard in the container on the table of their favourite chili chef. Each Chef may decide for themselves if additional sample cups will be given to judges.
- Once People’s choice judges have finished sampling all of their chosen chili, they will pick their favourite. When they have made their decision, they will remove their ticket from their lanyard and save the ticket for the dance. They will then place their lanyard in the container on the table of their favourite chili chef.
- After sampling has been completed, and all lanyards have been placed, a coordinator will count the lanyards in each chef’s container with the chef. Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd places based upon tallies.
- Judge’s decisions are final!
Showmanship Judging – 6:30 pm
Showmanship is the most entertaining part of the judging. Each team is required to put on a little show for the audience after all lanyards have been turned in. The judges simply sit back & enjoy the show….until it’s time to vote!
- All chef’s are required to put on a short performance 3-5 mins in length in order to qualify for this prize. The show can be a song, skit, poem, comedic bit dance etc based on the theme of the event, costumes/decorations chosen for your table (ie: Farmer, Mexico, Cowboy, beatnik etc), cooking/eating chili, places where chili is prevalent (ie: Texas, Mexico etc), euchre players, winter etc. It is the chef’s responsibility to explain the connection if one is not prevalent.
- The audience will be allowed to applaud after each ‘show’ but after all teams have performed, the audience will be encouraged to applaud for their favourite show. Winners will be determined by the amount of noise made by the relation to each team. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd places.
- Judges decisions are final.
Dance Information & Rules
- Dance will be begin at 8 pm or after all prizes have been awarded, whichever comes first. Tickets are available online or at the door. All attendees of the dance must have attained the age of 19 and be prepared to prove it!
- A disc jockey will be providing the evenings music. Requests not only will be taken, but are encouraged
- A cash bar will be open throughout offering beer, liquor, coolers, red & white wine and a variety of soda. Please drink responsibly as all liquor licensing laws will be enforced.
- A snack bar will also be open serving hot dogs, potato chips & other similar snacks.
- ‘The DD Service’ will be onsite to drive you home in your own car should you require such a service. While we have no ownership in this company, and make no money from the service (either in cash or through sponsorship of any sort) we have asked them to be onsite for your con-venience and safety. Rate is $20 within 20km, $1.50 for each additional km.
If you have any questions please review the comments below and if your question is not answered please leave it in the “Leave a Reply” section and an answer will be posted within 24 hours.